To path or not to path?
Have you ever used a pro-con list to make a major decision? On one side you list all the benefits of something; on the other, everything negative. We can do one on the advantages of following a well-trodden path:
- You will get to the destination where the path leads.
- You will be dealing with less wild and unpredictable terrain.
- Lots of people have taken this path.
- You are less likely to encounter surprises.
- See Pros listed above. They are also the Cons.
There are definite advantages to staying on a proven path. But what if taming the unpredictable terrain and charting your own path is what you are after? What if you don’t want to do things like everybody else? What if you’re not sure of your destination, but you’ll know it when you get there? What if you want to make your own way, mistakes and all?
There are times when following a well-trodden path is unwise, and, in fact, detrimental to your mental health. If you felt a tug in your heart considering the questions in the last paragraph, now may be one of those times. After all, someone had to start one of the paths in the beginning. Maybe now is the time to start a new path of your own.